It really has. I came to work on Monday feeling a great burden off of my shoulders, and feeling much happier than I have in a long time. I guess I didn't fully realize how bad my depression was getting. But Don going into detox/rehab lifted that from me. The kids have been very helpful, and now I know that they know how to fold laundry! *rubs hands together*
I picked Don up last night, and am feeling a lot better about this round than I was. He was very communicative, asked me some very pertinent questions, we had some good discussions. All of this is new for him. He hasn't ever really been very much of any of those. He even said to me that the counselors wanted him to ask me what I thought about him doing 2 more days of day patient on Monday & Tuesday, like he is today. He said that he thought he didn't need to, but I said I thought he did. So he is going to.
The downer part, he called his boss (the alcoholic who has been sober for 18 months) to talk, and asked him for the 2 extra days off. His boss gave him a hard time about it, saying that stuff was happening at work, laying a guilt trip on him. He did say that Don could take the 2 days though, as he was surprised that Don was already out of inpatient. Oh, and he asked for the name & number of Don's sponsor! That pissed me off. I don't think he has any right to that info. Don did tell me that one of his goals is to not have that job within the next 6 months. I told him he could quit right now, but he said, no, lets see if he fires me first. It seems Don would like to go back to school to get some computer classes to add to his finance/accounting background.
One thing I kind of chuckled about. His counselors told him that the only people he should actually say he is an alcoholic to are other alcoholics. That none alcoholics don't exactly understand, and have a propensity to judge. To the rest of us he should just say he doesn't drink alcohol any more. I think that is kind of weird, but whatever. I did laugh, thinking, ok, LOTS of peeps on RTVW know.
Tonight we have a swim meet, and I will be taking the kids there. It is at a pool about 1/2 hour from our house, the other way from Don's rehab center. He will be meeting us up there, as his day patient thing goes until the time we need to be at the pool. But I'm not worried about it this time.
As a side ucky note, we got several inches of snow yesterday evening. The previous 20 inches or whatever had finally melted, so I guess it isn't so bad. Is it Spring yet?
Have a great weekend, and GO PACKERS!
Friday, January 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Glad to hear all of this, DF. Have a great weekend and GO PACKERS!!!
You sir, are a tease.
Just sayin
I'm glad things are feeling different, since the "same" wasn't helping.
{{hugs}}
Lots going on in your life! What was decided about your son's swimming? It's difficult for me to imagine a swim meet while it's snowing.
For now, Devon is going to continue swimming. We agreed that it was wrong to quit mid season. Lots of people are depending on him, and have made a commitment to him, so he needs to honor his commitment. At the end of Feb is the end of this season, we'll talk about it then.
Woooo hoooo! Packers kicked some Seahawks butt! Loved that snowstorm they got up there. I can't wait to hear about the game from some friends I know who were up there.
I'm so glad to hear that he's having a good go of it this time 'round. I've been thinking about both of you.
Glad to hear things are going fairly well with DH. Hope things continue in that vein!
Post a Comment