Sunday, May 20, 2007

Gotta love those All Day Meets!

Sorry, not a peep meet. It was a swim meet! Had to get up at 6am this morning so that DS could get to the pool by 7am for warmups. Thankfully a good friend whose daughter swims with DS picked us up. That way DH and DD could sleep in a bit. So after warm ups, we sat and watched other kids swim 400 yd IM (individual medley, which means 100 yd each of Butterfly, Breaststroke, Backstroke and Freestyle) and waited about 1 1/4 hours until DS actually swam in a race. 50yd Freestyle. He did FANTASTIC! His time was 1:03.90, which was 3.5 seconds faster than his previous best, and only .61 slower than a state cut time! WAHOO! Then we waited another 45 min to watch him swim the 200 yd Backstroke. His best friend was in the lane next to him. Those two are so competitive, especially when it comes to Backstroke. His friend is a better sprinter, but DS is better at long distance. Anyway, he finished just ahead his friend, finishing in 2:43.45, while his buddy finished in 2:43.97. The best part? He knocked off 9 seconds from his best time, and is less than 2 seconds off of a state time! Another WAHOO!

He ended up in 5th and 6th place overall, and got medals for his hard work. His coach said "See, all that hard work you have been putting in is paying off." I love when the coaches show encouragement too.

So then home for lunch and back to the pool for DD's portion of the meet. She was a little envious of the medals, and had hoped for one herself, but it wasn't meant to be. You see, there are over 5o girls that swim in her age group at these meets, while less than 1/2 of that total swim in DS's age group as boys. So her chances are slimmer. She did end up with a best time in her 50 yd Freestyle, and felt good about that. I'm thrilled that she is still willing to get up and swim in meets, and that she keeps having fun. I keep telling her that she is only 9, and has time to work on getting better. Compared to DS, who started swimming when he was 9, she started when she was 6, and I'm hoping will be an even better swimmer! Of course that is hard to swallow when you are watching your brother get the glory, but I give her plenty of praise and compliments too. I'm thrilled that she got 1 best time, since the last meet she didn't get any! Improvement of any sort is GREAT!

So now I'm hope, gonna make Thai noodle dinner that is gluten free, and begin another week.

Did you have a good weekend?

3 comments:

Puffy said...

How wonderful that your kids have such a fun physical activity! They'll develop great friendships with their swimming, too.

We had a family birthday party for DH. It was great for all of us to be together for a change.

Paul said...

And yet more kudos for the WaterBugmeats, especially DS! I hope they remember all you've done for them in future Mother's Days.

Not a very good weekend; after working about 40 hours in 3 days, I collapsed for most of the weekend, and I'm still exhausted now. But I had just enough in me to help LC do some more landscaping out front.

Debcapsfan said...

I took the GRE. And I had the dish guy come out and fix my dish. It wasn't very exciting, but I'm done.
Woooooooooooooooooooooo!!! No more studying.