I've been really struggling with a major dilemma lately. My dad scheduled knee replacement surgery for May 22. I offered to go down and help him and relieve my sister for a few days, and bought my ticket to go down May 29-June 2. Of course, I bought this ticket the day that Don fell off the wagon. Figures. Ever since I have been debating about going or not. Do I go, and rearrange the schedules to make sure the kids get picked up/dropped off for swim practice, don't sign up for a big meet that is that weekend, and hope the Don holds it together enough over the weekend? Or do I not go, thereby not helping my dad/sister, and feeling guilty about it? Don & the kids wanted me to go, saying they would handle it as long as they (kids) could call me to talk anytime. (what sweeties, duh). Don wanted me to go to prove that he could still be a reasonably good dad and that he isn't a complete loser. What to do. I've been praying about it, thinking about, getting crabby about it.
Yesterday my dad called. Turns out the surgeon doesn't recommend the surgery right now, due to his health. He is overweight (a lot) and diabetic. Surgeon is concerned about complications and my dad ending up in a wheelchair. Well, this is the first I heard about the diabetes. Turns out he has been taking meds for over a year, and failed to tell both my sister (who he sees every Sunday) or me! He is going to see a nutritionist and get back into physical therapy in hopes of having the surgery some time in the future.
So even though it is bad for my dad, I can't help but do a happy dance! It has been such a burden on me the past 2 weeks, you would not believe how glad I was to hear that. Bad daughter, huh? Nope, I don't think so.
We decided to sign up for the meet too, so the kids are happy as well.
Thursday, May 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Whew! I know this was stressful for you.
I have a coworker here at work in those exact same shoes as your dad. She's not losing weight fast enough for the surgery and is instead using a cane daily for everything. Sigh.
Hopefully, with the weight loss, his diabetes might get under control and he won't need the knee surgery. Less strain on the knees with less weight.
Wow, what a rollercoaster of emotions! I hope that all this brings a sigh of relief for you and the kiddos have a fun meet!
Wow DF. My thoughts go out to you. You are a strong woman, and you are one terrific mom. *hugs*
You have a lot on your plate. It sounds like you are handling it. *hugs*
Post a Comment